Thursday, February 10, 2011

Hope you all have trust funds

This is my second semester at UT- yes, my transfer hours still allow me to take pre reqs at ACC, and this happens to be the only one I needed.  Seeing that I still have to take at least one class here I'd say it's pretty obvious just how expensive higher education really is, even the assistance I receieve from the Army isn't enough to cover tuition (not to mention books, parking permits, etc...)  I'd say the university's shortfall is really going to cost us in the years to come.  I found it really admirable and reassuring in reading The Daily Texan that my fellow classmates are just as concerned about it as I am.  They're mere presence at the meeting was significant in displaying a representation of the entire student body which I can guarantee is worried about the funding of their future is one way or another.  In my opinion, it made an even greater impact because President Powers is being hospitalized and was unable to attend.  The entire meeting was centered around improving government funding to higher education institutions in TX.  This is a challenge, since the hole is so deep, but those speakers who attended stressed the importance of handling this situation, even though it will not be resolved quite easily and will take sacrifices.  I want to remind people when reading this article and considering why it is so important that a good education is the most sound and valuable investment one can make, especially now in the state of our nation's economy.  Sacrifices should be made, funds should be reallocated (as suggested in the article), but they should not be depleted from our education and what fuels a better tomorrow.  New funding formulas should be proposed, given the urgency of the discussions in the meeting.  Hopefully new recommendations will yield better results.  The tremendous cut of financial aid proposed for the upcoming year will be extremely detrimental to us students, but with luck a remedy will be found.

No comments:

Post a Comment